The Social Media phenomenon continues to accelerate. My friend Kanishka Surana posted some interesting 2009 Social Media Stats he had gathered about the current growth of Social Marketing on our Think Conversation Linkedin Group today. I share them with you below:
Kanishka Surana POST:
So here is an Almanac (of sorts) around Social Media and adjacent technologies:
- Social Media has overtaken porn as the number one activity on the Web.
- Facebook has more than 250 million active users (more than 120 million users log on to Facebook at least once each day), Skype has 480 million, and PayPal has 75 million. (July 2009.)
- Facebook saw over 1 billion video views in June 2009. That’s still far less than that 1.2 billion YouTube sees every day, but it undoubtedly makes Facebook one of the top video sharing sites on the web. (Source: TechCrunch, July 2009.)
- Facebook is also the largest photo sharing site, with more than 10 billion photos uploaded as per February 2009 (source: TechCrunch). Flickr currently boasts 3,841,609,965 pics.
- 20 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute. (Source: YouTube, May 2009.)
- Sony’s Playstation Network (PSN) has 26 million members and Microsoft Xbox Live has 20 million members (Source: Reuters, August 2009.)
- The one-year old iTunes App Store has 75,000 applications with 1.5 billion downloads so far. (Source: Apple, July 2009.)
- The milestone of 1 billion iPhone apps downloads was reached in April of 2009, only 9 months after the app store launched (July 2008).
- 1 out of 8 couples that married in the US last year met via social media.
- Years to reach 50 million users: Radio (38 years), TV (13 years), Internet (4 years), iPod (3 years).
- The number of iPhone applications hit 1 billion in 9 months.
- If Facebook were a country, it would be the world’s 4th largest between the United States and Indonesia. Yet, some sources say China’s QZone is larger with over 300 million using their services (Facebook’s ban in China plays into this).
- A 2009 US Department of Education study revealed that on average, online students outperformed those receiving face-to-face instruction.
- 1 in 6 higher education students are enrolled in online curriculum.
- The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year-old females.
- Generation Y and Z consider e-mail passé…In 2009, Boston College stopped distributing e-mail addresses to incoming freshmen.
- The second largest search engine in the world is YouTube.
- Facebook users translated the site from English to Spanish via a Wiki in less than 4 weeks, at a cost of 0 USD to Facebook.
- 25% of search results for the World’s Top 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content.
- 34% of bloggers post opinions about products & brands.
- 90% of people who can TiVo ads, do.
- 24 of the 25 largest newspapers are experiencing record declines in circulation, because consumers no longer search for the news, the news finds them.
- More than 1.5 million pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) are shared on Facebook… daily.
Let’s take a step back and think on how this will transform the new generation and digital.
Thanks for the stats Kanishka.
Warren Raisch Social Marketing Success Stories Post: November 10, 2009